The Thornton Adjustable Positioner® (TAP®) is a simple, patient-friendly treatment solution for snoring and sleep apnea. The TAP holds the lower jaw in a forward position so that it does not fall open during the night and cause the airway to collapse. It maintains a clear airway to reduce snoring and improve breathing. The unique design allows the patient to fine-tune his/her treatment at home and work with the clinician to achieve the best results. Patients are empowered to manage the degree of lower jaw protrusion over as many nights as it takes to achieve the optimal treatment position. The TAP has a single point of central adjustment, which prevents uneven bilateral adjustment that can create an irregular bite and discomfort. The TAP has over a 95% success rate. It is the key to a snore-free, restful night of sleep. The TAP also treats sleep apnea without the need for surgery, a mask, or medication. The TAP is recognized as the market leader in oral appliances for snoring and sleep apnea and is currently prescribed by over 7,000 dentists worldwide to treat snoring and sleep apnea. A simple dental examination is necessary to know if the patient will be able to use an oral appliance.
Why Patients like the TAP
- Comfortable, custom fit
- Durable construction
- Easy to use
- Adjustable while in the mouth
- Patient can adjust at home and achieve maximum treatment results night to night
- Smaller and less bulky than other oral appliances
- Convenient for travel
- No masks or straps involved
Several features set the TAP apart from other oral appliances:
- The TAP can be adjusted while in the mouth, either by the patient or by another person, such as a sleep technician or doctor. Adjustment does not require an office visit.
- The patient has maximum control over his or her therapy due to the patient-adjustable feature of the TAP. Since the best treatment position can vary from night to night and can even extend to a stretched jaw position, the patient can achieve treatment results superior to any other appliance.
- The TAP has an adjustment mechanism that advances the mandible .25 mm with each turn of the key. The patient can vary the position precisely by counting the turns. This allows both the dentist and the patient to confidently maintain the proper treatment position and yet allows them to make changes depending on the patient’s symptoms.
- The TAP can pull the lower jaw farther forward than other appliances, increasing the chance that the patient will have treatment success with the TAP alone.
- The TAP is clinically proven to treat high upper airway resistance syndrome as well as all levels of obstructive sleep apnea, including severe sleep apnea.
- The TAP is the only appliance that has an attachment for a CPAP mask, offering the benefits of both mandibular advancement and positive pressure therapies.
- The TAP can be easily modified by the dentist n several configurations to meet the unique needs of every patient.